Mrs. Teabody Keeps a Journal: Day 5


It's Monday. Try to keep up.
'tis in my memory locked- Hamlet
 It is along Back Run Road each spring--even the springs which are cancelled - - that I make the determination of the optimum day for seeing magnolia trees and I base this determination on the tree pictured below in the front lawn on what we call (informally) Clevenger Corner. Here below is the lovely Clevenger Magnolia. It's a beaut. And this morning I found it blooming at its peak. I mention all this because no Magnolia Day passes that I don't immediately make a trip to neighboring Mercersburg to have a gander at  my other favorite magnolia tree.
Beth's Magnolia
Here's a look at the favorite Mercersburg Magnolia blooming full tilt--a bit washed out because I photographed it around 11 instead of the perfect time some four hours before. Still, it is a stunner.  Don't you agree?

Just now  this gorgeous house behind the Mercersburg Magnolia is unoccupied but it IS under restoration to everyone's delight because it is a beautiful property which has given passers by no end of enjoyment over the years. And it was no fool who once coined the phrase "A thing of beauty is a joy forever."  It just is. Locals have real affection and admiration for this home and grounds. Here's another look:
Front Entrance
Because no one currently resides there AND because I never leave the sidewalk to take photographs, I don't feel as though I am trespassing nor does my photography diminish the house and grounds in any way which reminds me of a story of a vendor who caught a peasant standing near a fire  to catch the aroma of the the vendor's baking bread:

Vendor: "I'll have payment for that, Peasant!"
Peasant: "And I shall pay for the smelling of your bread with the jingle of my money."
In other words, no harm, no foul.


In spite of my many trips to photograph the Mercersburg Magnolia it is only this morning that I noted the plaque attached to the pillar gracing the front entrance.

How could I have never known that this beautiful house was initially called "Hebron" in 1846 and then called "Bel Arbre" when Joseph and Joanne Rockwell took ownership in 1972? Here's proof in the photo below. Light research reveals that Hebron was an ancient Palestinian city but more modern usage  indicates that Hebron is a form of endearment. From my pal Joan Mcculloch quoting  OLD MERCERSBURG Revisited I learned that the half Georgian brick home was the last of five homes built by the Johnston family during the 1800s. The house is notable for its six fireplaces that all link to one chimney, a large newel post identical to one in  the Mckinstry Building on Center Square and unique green glass in a number of windows. The house sits on a 1.5 acre lot which originally contained 47 acres and leads to a number of Johnston family properties further along Johnston Lane  which borders one side.


Hebron remained in the Johnston family until a Mr. Meyers bought it. He added  the front porch and side portico. In 1972 owners Joseph and Jo Rockwell  christened their home Bella Arbre naming it  for  the beautiful towering trees which have stood flanking the house for at  least 100 years.
In these pocky times it is only human to seek beauty and affirmation that life goes on and Nature supplies it at every turn especially on a beautiful spring day like today, March 30. As we draw toward the end of this month that historically divides winter from warm days, I am remembering a dear friend's passing last March end by tasting five teas completely inspired by and named through my friendship with her and with her courageous battle against another insidious disease, breast cancer. For today here are the Breasteas.


The Five BREASTEAS in order left to right

Positive-a-Tea: Herbal Infusion - Apple pieces, ginger pieces, turmeric, fennel, orange peels, coriander, carrot pieces, rose hip peels. So very ginger, each sip makes you feel as though you are ready to whip your weight in wild cats. Drink up.
Show Us Your Teas: Oolong Tea / Black Tea - Half fermented tea, papaya pieces, goji berries, fig pieces, peach pieces, marigold petals, cornflower petals.The only black tea in the group, oolong was recently found to be beneficial. This one has  a decidedly tart peachy taste and is a great one to start your day of social distancing.
Such a Hottea: Green Honeybush, Apple bits, blueberries, raspberry leaves, strawberry bits, black currants. A decidedly tart tea that takes much of its flavor from the black currants but one that feels very light on the tongue. Drink it when you need to keep your opinions to yourself.
Tend to Your TaTas: Herbal Infusion - Ginger pieces, Apple pieces, turmeric, morenga leaves, cinnamon, licorice root, lemongrass, fennel, rose pepper, ginseng root.A personal favorite among the BreasTeas, both the ginger and turmeric flavor are quite pronounced while the taste is softened by lemongrass and licorice.  Delicious over ice and very healthy. Great after one of your daily invigorating walks.
Your Breast Bet: Fruit Tea - Hibiscus blossoms, Apple bits, raisins, apricot bits, candied pineapple bits, blueberries, peach bits, lemon bits, marigold blossoms. Sip this delectable combination of fruity flavors and discover that pineapple and hibiscus should be spending lots more time together.
There are plagues like our present one whose very name has become  a household word all over the planet in a very short time. It is a new sort of plague that is reordering the world in a different and unfamiliar way. And then there are the omnipresent plagues like cancer that creep up slowly and insidiously and claim the lives of young, brilliant  formerly invincible people and make us feel as helpless as newborn kittens in their wake. Finding an end to both sorts of plagues is keeping all the best minds on the planet working towards new ways to deal with them and always, always seeking a cure. If my young beautiful and brilliant friend were still alive today, I would be bombarding her with questions via texts and regardless of how completely uninformed my inquiries were, she would give me her brilliant smile, laughter in her voice and explain things to me as if I were a child. I miss her and I know those of you who knew her miss her, too. I bought this bouquet for you, Kristy. I hope you like it.
Purple reigns in memoriam
One of the conversations I used to have with my esteemed friend started with my rather obtuse question, "Why must living things die?" I'd ask helplessly. "Well, it wouldn't be life if they didn't, would it?" she'd say in that wise way. "That is the very essence of life." When I started out today, my goal was to simply view and photograph a beautiful magnolia tree as I do every spring. In the process I found out far more about the property where my favorite magnolia lives than I'd ever intended and my new knowledge assures me I will never look at it in the same way again.  We are all frail living things but the only point in admitting the fragility of life is making us realize how precious it is and how we all need to do whatever we can to hold onto it. I hope you are being safe. I hope you are being careful.  Let's do all that we can to preserve ourselves and those we love and let's not miss the opportunity to appreciate the wonderful gift of life we sometimes treat too lightly. Now. Go look at the magnolias. And the daffodils. And the forsythia. And the ducklings. . .  Be grateful and and above all, be well, my dears.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mrs. Teabody Reflects on Hallowe'en and Asks Forbearance for Rushing the Seasons

Mrs. Teabody Reflects on a Trip and Kindness

Mrs. Teabody Celebrates Her Father