Mrs. Teabody Keeps a Journal Day 3

Today is Saturday. * You either get it or you don't. :)
Fragile? Yes*

Did you know if you boil a funny bone, it becomes laughing stock?
Just when you think you cannot get any more overly-wrought with the current plague, you are awakened in the middle of the night with -- what else, Myrtle? A thunderstorm with lots of rumbles and flashing lights! Good grief!  If one can say ANYTHING good about an unexpected kick in the emotional keister, one can say this particular storm was relatively short lived. Not. A. Fan. What I am a fan of is humor, and I suspect if you are reading this, then you are a fan of humor as well. Like ourselves, our counterparts  in Cornwall, England are looking for ways to combat boredom/anxiety and deemed it appropriate to put on their ball gowns to empty the (garbage) bin. You can see just how cute they are right here.


Watching the good folks of Cornwall made me think how much fun it would be to have a  FB Live "Cocktail Demo and Drinking Hour" wearing cocktail dresses and I know at least two friends who would play along. I'm still up for it. Message me if you'd do one. In the meanwhile, look at this martini-inspired dress.
Martini making demo, anyone?


Like you I have been doing  more than a fair amount of hand washing these past few weeks and I like to think I've become pretty adept at it. I watched an especially good video and I am a quick learner, just like you.   Have a look  https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/videos.html

 For one thing, I took off all my rings--yes, ALL!-- and locked them away about two weeks ago because I know how sneaky those nasty virus droplets can be and how they LOVE metal. Nails need to be short. Do not provide hiding places for the droplets under your nails. We must defeat them at every turn and they despise soap and water, especially together. If ever there was a good time to own a small house with only one bathroom and one kitchen sink to fret about, that time is now. If ever there was a time to get out your strong soaps, that time is now. Scrub and sing. Scrub and sing, Rinse. Now here's a quirky little thing. I've taken to brushing my teeth every time I wash my hands. It just seems like a good idea. Can't hurt.


It was also in the bathroom as I inventoried our extraordinary collection of health-related products that I discovered we did not own a thermometer. We have always gauged our temperatures by asking, "Does my head feel hot to you?" to which we always say "No" because no one wants to be guilty of having a fever, but now that having a fever is one of the indicators, one should be able to say with conviction and proof, "Yes, I have a fever" instead of, "Well, my head feels pretty darned hot to me." Science you see. It always wants the correct and proven response -- not some half-a$$ed speculation on what I want the case to be. Here's the one I bought at the pharmacy along with an extra battery. It's a frog with a very low temperature of 37. The new scientific thermometer works a treat and if the past six days are a true indication, my average temperature is 97.6. No wonder my feet are cold.

I hope but doubt that all this was helpful. Heaven knows it is well-intended and it distracted you for five minutes, right? And now the part you have been waiting for: our daily tea tasting. Try to contain your excitement. These are the five selected teas for our third day of tea tastings from the offerings of the shelves at Tickle Your Fancy. Today I have selected two black teas at a four-minute steep, one fruit blend at six minutes and two rooibos at eight minutes. Yes, some of the timings do vary by a minute or more but I am steeping to MY palate as you would be expected to steep to your own.
 From bottom left going clockwise: Gingersnap Cookie, Chai Chai Chai, Coconut Cream Egg,  Durty Chai, Blueberry Hill

Coconut Cream Egg:  Black tea, shredded coconut, powdered sugar, corn starch, salt, cellulose gel, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, soy lecithin. This is an especially decadent chocolate blended with creamy coconut  to deliver a favorite Easter basket memory. Another flavored tea that makes a nice dessert when you're trying to counteract the effects of pandemic carb loading. Very, very coconutty.

Durty Chai: Black Assam tea, lemon peel, with Espresso chips and chai spices. For all you coffee club card carriers, this is the bridge between coffee  and tea that you seek. Doubt the possibility of mixing tea with coffee and ending up with something not just passable but interesting as well? Doubt no more. The name is a little homage to a popular tourist pub in Ireland. Slainte!

Blueberry Hill:  Fruit Blend with blueberries, apples, black currants, rose hips, carrots, beetroot,  combine with tiny yogurt bits made from milk and sugar. Absolutely delightful and somewhat dreamy cuppa that is a bit sweet and oh so gentle on the tongue.    "I found my thrill on Blueberry Hill . . ." Make no argument here, this is most delicious and refreshing over ice.


Chai-Chai-Chai: Rooibos with just a tiny bit of black Assam tea and teeming with cardamon, cinnamon, pink peppercorns, cloves, rose petals, candied ginger, star anise and lemon peel. For those of you who pay five bucks a cup at the Starbucks drive-thru for a "Chai Latte", here's the flavor you seek. Add your own sugar so you don't have to go into a coma. In times like these it's a good policy to look lively. You never know, right?

Gingersnap Cookie: Rooibos, pineapple, mango, papaya, roasted almonds, coconut rasps, walnut and hazelnut bits. Contains sugar. One of our most decadent teas to warm you body and soul.


Once again I was more than a little chuffed in discovering that all five teas offer a unique flavor profile and something fresh and delicious for these pocky times. And what better way to keep your liquids intake at a good level than with an interesting cuppa? Besides a healthy intake of tea,  I continue to take my hour-long walks keeping six feet away from my walking partner. For those of you who think it is against the rules to walk outside, it is NOT. In fact if or when we get the "stay in place" order, walking outside is STILL permitted. I count physical exercise essential to my mental  and physical well being. I know most of you feel the same.
These are indeed trying times and it is always in such times that we seek thoughts that feed our soul, experiences that confirm the humanity of ourselves and our fellow mortals and take inspiration from those who are on the front lines every single day whether it is our health care professionals who must go home nights completely exhausted or those folks who drive the trucks, cook the food, stock the shelves, work the line or  do any other of the jobs that make the world continue to work. Hats off to you all. You amaze us daily and we love you for your work ethic and your compassion. Our hearts are filled with gratitude and respect. May the Good Lord bless and keep you. Amen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mrs. Teabody Reflects on Hallowe'en and Asks Forbearance for Rushing the Seasons

Mrs. Teabody Reflects on a Trip and Kindness

Mrs. Teabody Celebrates Her Father